There may be instances when the user might have to upgrade the Power Systems firmware to a more recent level to acquire new features or additional support for devices.
This is quite easily achieved in a few steps. Perform the following steps for the update (taken from this article, step #1 – Update firmware on the Power Systems server):
- Save the level of the existing firmware before really updating. In ASM, in the system menu, click Service Aids ➟ Service Processor Command Line, and run the following command:
- Download the .img file of the level of firmware to be updated to a location in PowerKVM. Refer to IBM Fix Central for downloading the image file.
- Verify the image downloaded by running the following command and save the output.
$update_flash -v -f <file name.img>
- Update the firmware by running the following command.
$update_flash -f <file name.img>
- The command reboots the system and therefore, sessions if any, would be lost.
- Do not reboot or switch off the system until it is back.
- Verify the updated firmware level of the temporary side of the flash as in step 1.
- The new updated level can be committed to the permanent side of the flash by running the following command.
In case the update has to be reverted, the user can do so by running the
$update_flash -r command (rejection would reject only the temporary side of the flash. Therefore, the new level should be committed to the permanent side only after thorough testing of the new firmware).